Tuesday, September 16, 2008

ALBUM: Sad Robots

I've been writing some rather long-winded posts lately, so this one is going to be short and sweet. I've been listening to the Sad Robots EP by Stars, and I've got to say - I really love it. I actually hadn't even known it was coming out (it was released on Sept. 1st), so it was kind of a pleasant surprise without any real anticipation.

Listening to it has reminded me of a few years ago, when a friend of mine introduced me to them by giving me a copy of their album Heart. That weekend I drove down to Southern Utah by myself and though I'd brought a whole bunch of new music to explore, I ended up listening to that one album for the entire 4 1/2 hour trip (it's still one my personal favorites). I haven't had that same kind of infatuation with their music since then, but my initial reaction to this EP was pretty dang close. With the exception of the oddly out-of-place piano/instrumental intro, the rest of these tracks are bright, solid Stars songs, rich with synthesized soundscapes scoring Amy Millan and Torq Campbell's forlorn vocal narratives. It's short and sweet, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Stars - Undertow
from the Sad Robots EP (buy it from their online store)




And here's one off of Heart:

Stars - Romantic Comedy
from the album Heart (Amazon/iTunes)

1 comment:

bbond said...

wow - i quite like this. i like new discoveries of music i like. thanks