Friday, May 29, 2009

ALBUM: Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear

Basically, this record really is as good as everyone says it is. There you go. That's it.

I'm not a die-hard Grizzly Bear fan, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anticipating this album. Yellow House didn't floor me like it did others, though it did have some profoundly beautiful moments. No, Grizzly Bear didn't floor me until a year ago when they performed their then-new song, "While You Wait For The Others" on Morning Becomes Eclectic. That song grabbed me by the collar and refused to let go. I listened to it almost incessantly, and began waiting for a cleaner studio version. Then came "Two Weeks" earlier this year, and my interest was more than just piqued. Well, the rest of the album has arrived, and it's exactly what I'd hoped. Right from the first orchestral swells of "Southern Point" to end of the angelic "Foreground", it's just beautifully conceived and pristinely produced chamber pop. Like I said, it actually is as good as everyone says it is.

Here's the track that converted me, now in it's finalized glory.

mp3: Grizzly Bear - While You Wait For The Others
from the album Veckatimest (Amazon/iTunes)

1 comment:

Logg said...

I just love that music bloggers worldwide can now talk about the album in its entirety without having to admit they downloaded the leaked copy.
You could almost hear the collective sigh of relief.