Friday, May 15, 2009

ALBUM: Manners by Passion Pit

After a couple weeks of listening to Manners, the debut album from Passion Pit, I've got to admit I'm really enjoying it. It's not earth-shattering, but that's not too surprising to me. While last year's much-hyped-about "Sleepyhead" was worthy of all the praise it received, I was never very impressed with the rest of the Chunk of Change EP it appeared on - and I never quite understood everyone's anticipation for their full-length. If they couldn't put together an EP's worth of great songs, why should they be able to put together an album's worth?

Well the album's here (not officially - it's out May 19th), and I've been enjoying it a whole lot more than Chunk of Change made me think I would. The bad news is that the middle third of the record drags a bit and "Sleepyhead" is still the best song on here - but the good news is that there are a whole slew of close seconds to "Sleepyhead"s greatness, including "Little Secrets", "Moth's Wings" and "Let Your Love Grow Tall". Even when they're not at their best, these guys still have a like-ableness that seems to stem from their sheer wide-eyed dorkiness, and that alone makes this album a winner for me. All in all, there are definitely enough high points to buy the album, especially if you were salivating over last year's offering. And even if you weren't.

mp3: Passion Pit - Little Secrets
from the album Manners (Amazon)


mp3: Passion Pit - Moth's Wings
from the album Manners (Amazon)

No comments: