Thursday, March 6, 2008

NEWS: Physics sucks. The Grand Archives don't.


Okay, so I know Logan already posted about these guys, but here's the deal... I figure the whole point of this little blog-thing is for us to say "Hey! This is what I'm listening to right now - and I think you should too!"

So... that being said. I am listening to the Grand Archives right now - and I think you should too! Really. You should just go out and buy this album right away - there's no time to lose! The longer you wait, the more minutes of your life will be spent without this being a part of it.

Yesterday I was feeling pretty crappy as I drove home from failing a physics test (the degenerate half-bred ugly step-child of all subjects, in my opinion), and even after cursing the professor and the subject fairly profusely, I still didn't feel much better. But as I listened to this album I slowly started to feel more and more at ease, so that by the time I got home I was in much better spirits. Ah, the power of music.

This song in particular helped me forget my hatred of all things 'physical' - it's a re-working of last years demo version, which finds new life in the beautiful production behind this album. It switches from very pretty to just plain mesmerizing at about the 2:20 mark when the violins become the only accompaniment for Mat Brooke's airy vocals - all before plunging back into the thick of the song with an appropriately grandiose guitar riff and a dream-like closing refrain. It's just a great song, and a good representation of what you'll find all over this album.

from the album The Grand Archives (Amazon/iTunes)


(Apparently our music player is being difficult, but you can still download the song from the link above.)

No comments: